Free School Meals
If you qualify for free school meals then we will provide your child with a free meal up to the value of £2.30 each day.
Your child will be eligible for free school meals if you (or your partner) are in receipt of, either :
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and your annual gross income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) is not more than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit 'run on' – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit and net earnings, from your last assessment period, is not more than £616.67 per month. (If your household's net earnings change each month then they should not exceed £1,233.34 in the last two consecutive months or £1,850 in the past 3 months).
Once eligible, your child will continue to receive free school meals in primary or secondary school until at least 31 March 2022 and then until the end of their current phase of education, i.e. primary (Year 6) or secondary (Year 11). After this period, you may need to reapply.
If you are eligible, the academy will be notified and your child will receive free school meals.
The eligibility criteria for free school meals has recently been changed.
Most people won’t be affected by the new criteria. If you’re currently claiming free school meals, but don’t meet the new criteria, your child will continue to receive free school meals until the end of the Universal Credit rollout period. This will apply even if your earnings rise above the new threshold or if you stop being entitled to Universal Credit. The rollout period is currently scheduled to end in March 2022.
For further details visit the St Helens.Gov website.