We believe that all children, irrespective of their starting point, are entitled to a broad and balanced curriculum. We encourage and support all children to achieve their full potential at The Sutton Academy. We make this possible by placing great emphasis on an orderly and happy working environment where high expectations are the norm. Our lessons are challenging, engaging and inspiring. Our students actively work together and independently, enabling them to make good progress. We want our students to grow into positive, responsible people who can work and co-operate with others while at the same time develop their knowledge and skills in order to achieve their true potential.
We offer a curriculum built on five pillars with the aim to equip students with the skills and knowledge to succeed in life.
The five pillars include:
- Systematic building of knowledge sequenced to aid understanding
- Retention. Lessons taught in a way to ensure knowledge is retained in long term memory and then can be used in the future
- Vocabulary to access the curriculum is explained and students are supported in developing their range of vocabulary
- Links are made to cultural capital so the curriculum is made relevant and students are engaged with topics from all walks of life. Links are made across different subject areas
- Students are taught the skills to apply the knowledge they have learnt
For further information, click on the Curriculum Statement link below.
Key Stage 5
"Teaching is now GOOD, which is enabling students to make better progress across the curriculum."
Quoted by Ofsted May 2019